Sunday, June 22, 2014

Unit 1 sesson 4 The Tower of Babel




Craft: marshmallow tower of Babel

Verse:       THEN THEY SAID, “COME, LET US BUILD OURSELVES A CITY
           AND A TOWER WITH ITS TOP IN THE HEAVENS, AND LET US
           MAKE A NAME FOR OURSELVES, LEST WE BE DISPERSED
            OVER THE FACE OF THE WHOLE EARTH.
            GENESIS 11:4


Supplies needed: Tooth picks and mini marshmallows

Instructions:
1. USING THE MARSHMALLOW AND TOOTHPICKS WORK AS A TEAM AND BUILD A TOWER.

2. SEE HOW TALL YOUR TOWER CAN REACH. CAN IT REACH ALL THE WAY TO HEAVEN?

Purpose: As a human ruined by sin, the sin I was born with, I want to do it on my own. I don't think I need help and if I did think that, there is no way that I would admit it. The tower of Babel is a wonderful example of that sin nature. They wanted to get to Heaven, what better way to get there on your own and get all the glory for yourself? We want to look good, we want to look like we have got it all together and that we don't need anyone...not even God. How often we forget that we don't have anything apart from God. I am not even talking about spiritually, I am talking about anything, our skills are God given, our families are God given, our very lives are God given. Every breath that we breathe in and then breathe out is orchestrated by God. I have been struggling with pride lately (it is so cool when you can share a personal story with kids. lay it out there, let them see you for who you are...a sinner saved by God's precious grace) and God has been
bringing that issue front and center for the past couple weeks. Every time I engage in conversation BOOM there is my pride issue. This blog post is no exception. I don't like to ask for help and I feel really uncomfortable when people help me. I have noticed this more since I have gotten married, (8 months ago) my husband will help me and I actually get mad. How insane is that? It is because I think that he thinks that I am too lazy to do it myself or that I can't do the task. Well maybe I am lazy or that I actually can't bring in the giant bag of dog food in from the car but I don't want him to know that...evidently I want him to think that I am wonder woman. All that being said, this issue has made me think about how my pride is getting in the way in my relationship with Christ. Am I really relying on Him to be my everything? Am I laying myself down? Can I really stop trying and just rest? Christ has done it all already. Jesus made a way for us to get to Heaven...He did ALL the work. I don't have to do anything...that is hard to swallow but it is also a huge burden off my shoulders. we all need help and we CAN"T do it on our own, that's a fact. Don't even try...it's a waste of time. Plus it is so much easier just to follow God's plan and stop resisting.

No comments:

Post a Comment